Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Delta evolution in fast forward

Time lapse is a great tool, and one of my goals for the Elwha project has been to develop a time-lapse video of the development of the Elwha River delta over the course of the project. To this end I, along with partners from the US Geological Survey, Olympic National Park, and the Lower Elwha Klallam Tribe, have tried out a variety of approaches and camera locations. Of those that I've tried two have stuck - one on either side of the river mouth looking down at the mouth. Turns out that keeping a camera stable and operating for years at a time is no easy feat, but the outcome is still interesting I think. Check out this example, which runs from early 2012 to December 2015 (though with significant gaps). Let me know what you think:

Why bother with this? A lot of my continued interest in the Elwha is explained in this article I recently published in AEG News (starting on p. 20).

No comments: